Sunday, April 27, 2014

Bust those doors down!

"Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door."

-Kyle Chandler

 I sometimes find comfort in cliches, as vapid as that may sound.

I didn't just become a worrier one day. I think I was born one. For as long as I can remember reckless, anxious thoughts have crept inside my consciousness. If you're not one to fret, be happy. Worry fits less like a glove, and more like a suffocating straight jacket.

For instance, I remember once I was about 8 years old, I was posted up on the couch with a cast on my leg due to another femur fracture. I was playing Crash Bandicoot (and kicking some serious butt, I might add), when my sister came in. She was grasping a couple of Polly Pockets, and dancing to the music buzzing through the headphones of her portable CD player. Yes, we were so terribly '90's. She wasn't paying attention. The whole time she was getting her groove on around the room, I was paralyzed with fear. I literally had to pause my game so that I could watch her to make sure she didn't accidentally bump into my leg, or shatter it with her tiny hands, or rip it off in a fit of rage. Whatever it was that I was so afraid of didn't have to make sense. The fear was overwhelming.  For the record, my sister ended up grabbing a controller and sitting on the recliner and we played Mortal Kombat.

I sometimes find comfort in cliches, as vapid as that may sound. When I worry, my mom's words echo in my mind, "whatever is meant to happen will happen. Don't sweat the small stuff."

In most instances, I do find comfort in it. Like, when I worried that we would NEVER find a wheelchair-accessible house. We finally did. Problem solved. It was meant to be, I suppose.

But lately, I realize that I have relied on that tiny token of belief for far too long. In many aspects of my life I have become too.... "go-with-the-flow." Like my future, for example.

Currently, I am not 100% where I want to be. I mean, I really do love the work that I do, but I don't believe in my heart that it is what I am meant to do forever. I want to help people. I want to make a difference in the world. I have coasted on the fact that the life that is "meant to happen will happen." That's not how life works. If everyone just let it "happen" we would have the DULLEST world. No inventions. No improvements. No true unique ideas.

I'm taking the reigns now. I have decided to take a leap in multiple ways. One being, I started my own photography business. I still work, I just do this one the side. It is serving as an amazing creative outlook for me. So my future is looking brighter. Also, I got accepted into a local University. Right now it's a toss-up on whether my major will be teaching or Psychology. Right now, I'm just going to take a little bit of everything and follow the passion I hope I will discover!

I encourage you to take a leap in your life. Don't coast on a cliche.

YOU have to make things happen in your life. Don't rely on fate. Rely on the power of your own mind and spirit!

2 comments:

  1. Woo yeah crash bandicoot and mortal. At first I loved the PS but then the n64 was out so I traded it. Goldeneye. Resident evil. Super smash Bro with my lil Bro and 2 other dweebs. In the same room!
    Yeah soon I'll stop working on business software and start making games!!!
    I'm excited now!!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all those games!!!! That would be awesome if you started making games!! I want to play one when you do!! (:

      Delete