Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Let's Climb This!

"It's better to be at the bottom of the ladder you want to climb than at the top of one you don't." 
-Stephen Kellogg

Growing up, I had big dreams. I was going to be the NEW and IMPROVED Reba McIntire! (Don't judge. It was the '90's! I was young and naive!) I was always singing. I knew I wasn't the as good as the queen, Reba but I was determined to practice my entire life if that's what it took to be a star. I sang at church, at family functions, even at the local flea market. 

And let me just tell you, I was basically the Celine Dion of the flea market karaoke circuit. 

While my technical skills as a singer were improving, my passion was dwindling. I had an opportunity to even audition for American Idol- when it was still cool. But, I new that even if I made it to the top of that "ladder." I was never going to be truly happy as a singer for the rest of my life. I grew up. My tastes changed. My goals changed. I went from wanting to be a singer, to wanting to be a teacher, to just wanting to pay my rent while doing the most good I could for my community.

That's when the perfect job fell into my lap- my current job. I am an the insurance coordinator at a local Dermatology practice. Yes, I know what you're thinking. What a boring job!! But, honestly I love it. I get to help people every day. I help patients get their claims paid and I fight some of those money-hungry insurance institutions so that the patient isn't slammed with a bill. I feel like, in my own way, I'm almost like a patient-advocate and I love that. 

However, changes are coming. BIG CHANGES. I mean, basically any skills I have acquired are soon to be obsolete with all of the new rules that are coming along. 

I admit, I almost went into panic mode. Then I realized that sticking through this change and defeating it is the best thing I can do. 

I may be falling down a few rungs, but I will be looking up to a successful career. This ladder is what is right for me today. Even if I have to start at the bottom all over again. 

I encourage you to evaluate your "ladder." Are you on the path you want to be? Sometimes, it is worth it to start over from scratch, if it means that you will discover your true calling.
 

4 comments:

  1. Seth Godin is a good thinker to read when facing change. He is a big advocate for CREATING change. The change is going to happen no matter what, so you may as well set yourself apart as an expert of what the changes are so you aren't made obsolete, you can be an even bigger asset (i.e. rolling out these changes at other offices/etc).

    I think it's awesome that you wanted to be Reba McIntire. I also loved her show Reba! She has a lot of sass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check him out! And I totally agree!!! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for these wise words.
    It's hard to feeling at the bottom of something in which we were feeling experienced.
    But you're totally right, we must take this as a new ladder to climb even higher.

    ps: sorry if there is some errors in my english, but i must climb this ladder too and it's not my native language ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And by the way, your English was perfect!

      Delete