Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Best. Birthday. Ever.

When I began writing this blog, I only wanted an outlet for my ideas. Never did I imagine that I would be so overwhelmed with such support from people all over the world. I am so incredibly touched by the outpouring of thoughtful, sweet comments and new followers I have acquired today.

I know many of you are from the Reddit community, and I am BLOWN AWAY by how uplifting you all are. Thank you so much. My husband didn't even tell me he was posting about my blog, so when I logged on today I almost dumped my wheelchair over backwards! (And that's saying something because I'm not too skilled at popping wheelies.)

"The here and now is all we have, and if we play it right it's all we need." -Ann Richards

I stumbled upon this quote today and it has been looping in my mind all day.  I have been told since I was born that I was "lucky to be alive." For a long time, I resented that statement. Why am I lucky to be alive, when everyone else is just... living?

After knowing classmates, friends, and relatives who passed away far beyond their life expectancy, I finally understood that no one is guaranteed to live a long life just because they lack health complications. Things happen. Life is, for everyone, an unpredictable game of chance. Every breath is a gamble on whether or not there will be another.

The difference is what you do with each gambled moment. A person could live a million years and do nothing but put others down, damage their body, and avoid any responsibility. OR a person may only live 20 years and do nothing but build others up, take care of themselves, and take care of business every day. Which life will have a longer lasting positive impact on society?

While all lives are equal in value, not all lives are reaching their full potential. Even though I may not live to be 80 years old, I do my best to make the very best of each and every moment I DO have. I hope this blog helps me do so. Because I am lucky to be alive. And you're lucky, too.

Take this moment. Right now. Choose to make this moment the best that it can be in your current situation. Exactly where you are at this moment. No one's next moment is promised.








16 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :] I'm glad you're enjoying it. But you're right, I'm not guaranteed a long life because I was born healthy. I try to live to the fullest...or at least i did until I realize that living costs money that I don't have. So now I spend most of my time in front of a computer, whether that's studying, working, or playing video games. x3 I can't wait until it's warm, then maybe I'll actually exercise too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably spend too much time doing those things, too! haha!!

      Delete
  2. :D Happy birthday! You've inspired me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! You're a really good writer, and your blog is very inspiring. Thank you for giving me some things to think about.
    You seem like an incredible person, and you deserve all the happiness in the world.
    Love from France.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Keep being awesome! :) cheers from Poland. I will follow your blog so see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday and thanks for sharing your thoughts with the world :) I'm feeling inspired all the way over here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. have a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday :) Really enjoyed the blog. Love from the UK x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday!! Your blog is incredible. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bit late to the party, but happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday from Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A belated but heartfelt happy birthday!

    I just wanted to tell you; I found your blog through your husband's post on reddit, but it really resonated with me. You see, I just lost my step sister on January 30th. She had Muscular Dystrophy (FA specifically). You remind me a lot of her, in your outlook on life, and your sense of humor. Your blog is such a comfort to me, while I'm still feeling the void from her passing.
    I just wanted you to know how very much it means to me to have found your blog.
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. This just blew me away. I am sorry for the loss of your sister and I can't imagine what you're going through. I am so incredibly honored that my blog can give you any sense of comfort. Thank you for your sweet words.

      Delete