Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Break Free!

"The weakest link in a chain is the strongest because it can break it."
-Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

Society is all about standards. Society, by definition is the "community of people living in a particular country or region and having shared customs, laws, and organizations."

Even the definition of society emphasizes how important it is to "fit in" or "be normal." I mean, what is the American Dream if not the "standard" most families in the 1950's tried to reach? Almost every decision people make are based on if it will help them attain a certain goal appearance or status.

"I'm skipping lunch, I need to wear those skinny jeans this weekend."

"I'm 35 and still haven't have kids... my life is meaningless"

"You really need to get a real job. You can't be a waitress forever."

I know I have heard similar things WAY too many times in my life. Not directed at me, or even said by me, just some things I've observed.

The pressures from the tv, the music on the radio, the models in the magazine,  and even our friends and families are enough to make anyone those their mind. More than that, many of us lose ourselves. And that's not ok.

It is time for US to break the chain. Be the "weak" link. Be the one who occasionally skips the gym to spend time with family. Be the one who skips the tight, "in" jeans and proudly wears ANYTHING that makes you feel beautiful. Be the one who sometimes steps out of the timeline your peers have set in place.  You don't have to be a mother by a certain age. You don't have to be married by a certain age. Be the one who works (or chooses not to) in a field that takes care of your needs but also lets you live your life. You work to live, not live to work.

I can't tell you how many people think I'm ridiculous for being vegan. I've been told I was brainwashed by liberals more times than I care to admit. But the truth is, breaking away from society's standard of normal diet took (and still takes) A LOT OF STRENGTH. I broke free of the chain of mindlessly following what others before me have done. I am my own person. You may think I'm weak and impressionable, but I know I am strong enough to change the world.

8 comments:

  1. Greetings from Reddit. Never EVER care about what people think or say, they don't even deserve the attention. Be proud you're not part of the unthinking majority, be proud of who you are and don't follow the herd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Jennifer! It's so crazy to think that you're only 22 years old but already have so much strength and wisdom. I'm a year younger then you and aspire every single day to live up to what you speak of in your blog, especially this article. I feel like I can't encourage you enough to keep writing because your words have so much power behind them, the world simply needs to see pieces from this perspective. I just wanted to say that you seem like a truly incredible human being, and I wish you the best in life. The world needs more people like you.

    I feel like I know so much about you, to get a sense of who I am, I'm a Los Angeles-native studying at the University of Miami, currently applying to medical school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words!! I'm glad to have met you, even if it is through a computer screen! ;)

      Delete
  3. "I can't tell you how many people think I'm ridiculous for being vegan." True, but /r/vegan loves you!

    Have the happiest of birthdays, and I hope there's a cat there to help you celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And yes.. there are two little kitties that will be celebrating all day with me! :p

      Delete
  4. Another Redditor here. I really like this post! I'm a PhD student, and the pressure to always be the person who stays latest at work / gets the highest grades in class / spends the most time on research seems pretty intense sometimes. I'll try to take your advice and think more about how I really want to be balancing my work and family time.

    I'm also a vegetarian with celiac disease, so full support for weird diets :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Weird diets, for the win! Thank you for checking out my blog, and I am so thrilled you took something from it!!

      Delete